2015 Literary Resolutions for Readers
Hello Swoon Readers,
I hope you are all enjoying the end of this lovely year – 2014. As you can imagine, 2014 has been an amazing, crazy year here at the Swoon Reads headquarters. We’ve grown in ways I don’t think anyone even dreamed of a year ago – so many members, so many submissions (there will be a lot of reading this holiday season). We could never have done it without all of you!
And now it’s that time of year where we look back at our successes – a brand new launch and publishing our first book – and also look ahead to the next year. I’ve never really liked the word “resolution” so I choose to think of them more as a checklist for the next year. I like to mix up my list with a few pie-in-the-sky goals, as well as a few concrete achievable ones. I also try not to get too specific. I am a classic over-achiever, but if I start falling behind early, I rarely seem to be able to get back on the train. (However, when it comes to reading, sometimes specific isn’t such a bad thing!)
So when we look ahead to 2015 and think about what we’re going to tackle for reading, here are some places to start:
1) Step out of that comfort zone! – Always going to the New Adult shelf? Stuck on mysteries? Don’t give up your tried and true – but make yourself (and your brain) work on something new. I’ve been on an unbreakable contemporary kick recently (and there is NOTHING wrong with that) but it’s time to tackle some award winning poetry in the New Year. (All that being said, do not apologize for loving what you love – ain’t no shame.)
2) Books! Books! And More Books! – I know that places like GoodReads are custom made to help you with these goals, but here in my department we play Book Bingo (cards can be found here). And I personally use a pen and the back of a used sheet of printer paper to keep track of what books I’ve read (classy, I know). In case you were wondering, I think we all agree that reading a manuscript on Swoon Reads counts towards your book total at the end of the year.
3) Get thee to a library! – Sure, that “collection” (my roommate might use the word “pile” instead) of books keeps growing and growing, but you know whats great about the library? It doesn’t force you to contemplate buying a storage unit, it also comes with a built in deadline to help you hop to!
4) Put Down the Bad Book! – This was a tough lesson for me to learn in life (I am still learning it, to be honest): Life is too short to read bad books. Maybe someone doesn’t think it’s crap (which if you’re reading it, someone out there loves it). That’s fine for them, but you don’t have to keep going. If you don’t like what you’re reading, give it a page or two, but let it be ok to abandon ship, to throw that to the discard pile and move along. You do not have to keep going.
5) Read a Swoon Reads Manuscript (or five)! – Our site is growing every day, which is amazing, which means we need your help more than ever. Read what’s out there, comment and help us find the next book we need to publish. See how that works? You read more books and we publish more books – it’s a beautiful system.
So that should be enough to get you started. Whatever resolutions you end up setting, I hope we’ll see you back here – and often – as we continue to reach our new goals in 2015. However you choose to go at this New Year, make sure to push yourself – dream big. You can do it. What’s more, you want to.